Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One Last Look

Now that I have taken the comments from my two book reviewers, who happen to be WWII veterans, double-checked facts and made corrections in the manuscript, I am giving the book one last review before sending it off to an editor. I want it to be as clean as possible before she receives it, because there is no reason to pay an editor to correct items that I should have caught. Authors really need to take advantage of the built-in review capabilities of their word processing programs.

As I am looking at the book, I can't help but wonder if I should go into more detail in a few areas. But then I realize that at some point you just have to say enough is enough. This book needs to be finished. So I set a deadline for myself to have the book to the editor by Friday of this week. I will be on vacation next week, and I don't want to think about this book. It will be in capable hands, and I will get it back in two weeks.

Bon voyage, little book!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Website Update

As I had previously mentioned, I was having problems with the blog, which is on the Wordpress platform. My daughter has been integral in helping me figure out what the problem is, and we decided to move the Wordpress blog to a new web host first of all. Then she has been working to try to clear up the virus. I can now log in and post new entries, but I think we are still having issues in the comments section. Katie will eventually figure it out, I have no doubts about that. In the meantime she has made it harder for spammers to post comments, which is great. I moderate all comments anyway, but now you have to enter a code after you post a comment. That feature alone weeds out a lot of spammers.

Katie also set up a new website for my publishing company at I had already registered the domain, but it is directed right to Now that I will soon have two books under the publishing company, and one of those has nothing to do with house history, it seemed to make sense for the publishing company to stand on its own. The website is still a work in progress, but at least it is up.

Speaking of my second book, I have been busy checking some sources for data I used in the book, because my Hump Pilot suggested that a few things were incorrect. Once I get that done, I'll be ready to send it off to an editor. I have got to get this thing off dead center. At the last St. Louis Publishers Association meeting we gathered into small groups and we each had to list one thing that we wanted to finish in the next 30 days. We then wrote down how we were going to make that happen. I put down that I want this book to go to the book designer in 30 days. That may be ambitious depending on how much time the editor needs, but at the very least I want the book in the editor's hands before I leave on vacation February 26th. There...I put it in writing. That felt great!